Monday, October 03, 2005

So, What's a Spindizzy?

The spindizzy, also known as a Dillon-Wagoner gravitron polarity generator, is essentially an antigravity device capable of negating the gravitational effect exerted on an object regardless of the size of its mass. That is, it will suspend an apple in midair after its fall from a tree. Or a piano. Or the World Trade Center. (We still have a World Trade Center here in Long Beach, though it probably won't fall from a tree. But you get the picture). Or even George Bush's hubris. We're talking immense.

The creation of James Blish, who described its effects in his Cities in Flight series of novels, it is a device that struck a major *whoa* chord in my sensorium when I first read about it. And I still think spindizzy is one of the coolest nouns I've ever encountered.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I could have used a Spindizzy when hiking in Canada last month.

I love your blog name even more now that I know the story behind it.

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure we received a a 'spindizzy thingummy' as a wedding present off a distant relative! Another one of those useless pieces of electrical gadgetry that ends up in a cupboard!

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter